Monday, June 8, 2009

A health conscious me

So, as many of you know, I am fairly health conscious. I try to eat right. I am trying to improve my fitness. I want to be more toned. I want to be able to run a 5K. I want to lose a little bit of weight. I am going to start tracking my workouts, weight and calories here. A public forum to keep myself accountable and all that.

Lately I manage to exercise about 5 days a week for at least 30 min. Usually longer. That's a pretty good place to start. I have been getting up and exercising before work, which is working out weel for me. I then get in my 5 days of exercise a week and have the weekends off. I know I should probably try and get in some workouts on the weekends but we are so busy. It's nice to not have to worry about it since I have already exercised 5 out of the 7 days of the week. I have a treadmill and I use that fairly often. I am trying to complete the Couch 2 5K workouts. I am on week 5. I've done day 1 of that week but haven't worked up the courage to tackle day 2. I also have various workout videos (I've been doing a lot of Jillian Michael's videos lately), hand weights, an exercise ball and do some CrossFit here and there.

I also count calories and try to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day.

I have been using sparkpeople.com to track my calories, water intake and exercise. It works decently well. I've been changing my goal weight, my time line and my exercise goals to see what effect that has on the plan it gives me. I think it will be interesting to see how that changes. I plan on inputting my weight daily and seeing how that changes things. Just as an experiment.

Right now my current goal is to be 140 by July 4. We are going to the beach that weekend! Woo! I would actually like to be 140 by the last weekend of this month but sparkpeople didn't like that as a goal date because it would mean needing to lose over 2 pounds a week because my weight was high this morning thanks to weekend eating and not drinking enough water.

So this morning my weight was 145.8, 27% body fat according to the scale. So I've input into sparkpeople that my goal weight is 140 and I want to reach it by 7/4. I've also input that I plan to burn 1200 calories a week. To this sparkpeople says: I should be consuming 1200-1550 calories a day.

So far today I have had 52 ounces of water, so I should have no problem hitting 64 ounces. My calories are at 1764, which is, obviously, over their recommended range. I have also burned 400 calories, which is over the 240 I needed to burn today per their dividing up of the 1200 calories per week.

So basically I am just playing with sparkpeople to amuse myself but it is helping me keep on task and it will be interesting to see how things change.

For my workout today, I:
3 min. warm up
3 min run (5 mph)
1 min. walk (3mph)
repeat for 30 min. (I'm not sure how many repetitions this is but I do know that 30 min. was 2 min. into my last running interval, so I just ran those 2 min. and did my cool down.)
5 min. cool down

And then I did:
10 burpees
10 air squats
10 sit ups
10 push ups
10 box jumps

And then I stretched. So doing 3/1 intervals is harder than 2/1 intervals definitely. I kind of feel like I need longer to recover than that 1 min. but, hey, it's making my push myself and my body. I think I went 2.64 miles in that time, including the warm up and cool down. I am proud of myself for sticking with the running because it really is pretty difficult for me. But I think I am doing well. I am going to attempt the week 5, day 2 workout for C25K on Wednesday I think. Maybe on Friday I'll try running a mile. See if I can't do it in under 12 minutes.

I really need to devise some concrete, non-weight related goals. I have some in mind. I need to just sit down and hash them out. Then I will post them.

Tonight I made some healthy banana-strawberry oat muffins for grab-and-go breakfasts. They are cooling right now. I can't wait to try them in the morning. Since I have been getting up early to exercise, it's been harder to find the time to eat at home. I have been but it makes me very rushed. If I had something already prepared that I could just grab, that would make it so much easier. I have made banana oat muffins in the past and really liked them, so I think I will really like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment