Wednesday, June 17, 2009

30 Day Shred//Food Log

So this morning, my alarm when off at 5:20 a.m. I stumbled from my bed, pulling on my workout clothes and sneakers with my eyes half-closed and then busted my butt through Level 1 AND Level 2 of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Yes, back to back. I skipped the warm up on Level 2 since I was already a little warm from doing Level 1. You know, just a little. I used light weights (2 lb.) since I was doing both levels and I knew that was going to be a lot of arm work. It was hard work but it also really felt good. I know I really need to step it up when it comes to strength training and this was a good start! And I burned 390 calories. I really like Jillian Michael's workouts (the ones that I have done) because they combine strength training with cardio.

I like 30 Day Shred for the workout but I can't do it day after day because I need more variety than that. But the workouts themselves are fairly well rounded, I think! However, I still think Jillian is really awful at stretching and doesn't stretch nearly enough. Stretching is so important!

Food Log
Breakfast
2 strawberry wheat muffins
1 small banana

Now, I just want to say that I made these muffins last night, using a regular muffin tin that you would use for cupcakes, not a jumbo muffin tin, so the muffins aren't very big. Anyway, regardles of the size they were made with whole wheat flour, lots of strawberries, no oil and no granulated sugar. Very healthy! I used maple syrup and honey as sweeteners and Country Crock instead of butter. I could have also used olive oil, as that is a healthy fat, but I decided to go with the Country Crock because it has so many fewer calories. However, Gage, our male dog, ate almost ALL of the muffins I made last night while we were at work today! I was so upset! he stole them off the kitchen table. Bad boy! He also stole the bananas off the counter, so no more bananas! Boo!

Snack
light vanilla yogurt with strawberries and blackberries

Oh my goodness, slap your grandma! I have never eaten vanilla yogurt before. I thought it was going to be awful and that adding the berries would allow me to maybe stomach it. (I was hoping anyway, since I bought a large container not individual small cups.) I was so wrong! Vanilla yogurt is delicious! I can't believe I never tried it before. I have been missing out!

Lunch
leftover whole wheat couscous from Monday night
leftover sauted vegtables from last night
leftover slow-cooked pork loin from Monday

I have a divided lunch container that I take my lunches in. I put veggies in the big section and meat and carbs/starches in the small sections. I'll have to take a photo of it.

Snack
low-fat string cheese

Dinner
1/2 an order of barbecue boneless chicken wings from Applebee's
1/2 a cheeseburger from Applebee's
3/4 of an order of fries from Applebee's

Dessert
10 dark-chocolate covered raisins

I'll fully admit that dinner was kind of sparked by an emotional need to eat. I had a really horrible day (week) at work and came home to find Gage had eaten all the muffins and made a variety of other messes. I just didn't have it in me to make dinner. I was feeling pretty beat down, so my husband offered to go out and pick up dinner and I let him. Perhaps dinner was not the most healthy but I did try to eat mindfully and when I started to feel full, I stopped eating. That part was good at least because in the past, I would have just powered through it.

I am going to have to workout hard tomorrow morning as we're going to a local street festival, which means... FAIR FOOD. Funnel cakes and fried dough and candy apples, oh my! Okay, so I'm not going to be eating all of that but I am sure that tomorrow's dinner isn't going to be a normal dinner.

I have read in various articles, for example this one entitled How to Eat to Lose Weight -- which I personally think is a really good article -- that eating 5 meals (breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner) a day is important because it helps keep your metabolism up and burning. It also helps keep you from getting too hungry at any point in the day, whichs helps you stick to a healthier eating plan

How many of you eat snacks? What are your favorite snacks?

4 comments:

  1. I've found that I'm not snacking anymore - mostly because I'm just not hungry! I did have a snack yesterday - a dark chocolate candy bar. And it was heaven while I ate it, and then I could feel my blood sugar spike then crash and I felt AWFUL. I need some good healthy snack ideas though and yogurt with berries sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it has to do with exercising in the morning but I definitely get hungry between meals. And yogurt with berries is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now one of my favorite snacks are the Kashi TLC 7 Grain Stoneground crackers and light laughing cow cheese. Yummy and filling. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, yes. I love Laughing Cow cheeses!

    ReplyDelete